Tuesday, February 17, 2009

drawing on location

We spoke a little in class this morning about the difference between drawing from photographs and drawing from life.  To me, nothing beats working within the environment one is attempting to capture...soaking it all in...the smells, the sounds, the textures, the people, etc.   These are things you miss when drawing from photos.

Take a look at the work of Salvador Castio via his blog for great examples of drawing on location. In particular, pay attention to the way in which Salvador describes his process and environment. I think we can all benefit from the advice Salvador includes in the top left corner of this drawing : "Draw ceaselessly and do it with resolve; draw things your way and do it brilliantly."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Suzanne! I have a new website that also includes my blog, you can find me at salvadorcastio.com - click the blog section to see what I've been up to.

    ReplyDelete